Lord, You Know All Things
We don’t know, but God does.
Have you ever thought about how much you don’t know? It’s a pretty formidable thought! As we begin a new year, the two of us can look back and see that we are somewhere we would have never envisioned twelve months ago. At the same time, not one of our life changes has come as any surprise to our all-knowing God. “O Lord, thou hast searched me and known me. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!” (Psalm 139:1, 17).
To this point God has brought us
Sometimes as we look back over our lives, we can see very clearly that God has directed and re-directed our steps. We are thankful for those ministry opportunities and experiences that God is using now in our lives. We can look at those “ebenezers” and say with Samuel, “Hitherto hath the Lord helped us” (1 Sam 7:12).
Our times are in God’s hand
But there are still many things we do not know and cannot understand. This is why we must walk by faith, and not by sight (2 Cor 5:7). God knows, he is good, and he is in control. We say with Jesus (who knew the Psalms well and quoted them often), “Into thine hand I commit my spirit” (Psalm 31:5). We glorify our all-knowing and sovereign God by trusting him with every detail of our lives.
This lesson is one that God is continually teaching us as we seek to serve Jesus’ church through our deputation ministry. So many times we are asked questions about our future—when will we go to Chile? what will our ministry look like? what will our circumstances be?—and we just don’t know the answers. However, we are reminded that we trust in a God who knows all things.
Please pray for us to obey God and continue to grow in faith. We are thankful for the opportunities to serve four of Jesus’ churches over the next month:
- January 17: Providence Baptist Church, Westerville, Ohio
- January 24: Marantha Bible Church, Zanesville, Ohio
- February 7: Harvest Bible Church, Niles, Ohio
- February 14: Huron Baptist Church, Flat Rock, Michigan
Thank God with us:
- for gracious and generous churches who have encouraged us and helped us on our way.
- for 22 meetings scheduled so far in 2016.
- for safety in travel and grace in serving last year.
Pray to God with us:
- for God’s provision of teammates who will support us in prayer and finances.
- for wisdom in the coming months as we transition to full-time deputation ministry.
- for grace as we lead a mission team of five young people from our church to Antofagasta in June.